One example from today... this morning we had the opportunity to attend our first Russian Orthodox service at Saint Issac's Cathedral. Almost all women wear skirts and head coverings, and men were dressed nicely and without hats. When I stepped into the cathedral, I was overcome with a sensory overload. Incense filled my nostrils, while chanting filled my ears, and my eyes looked upward only to be filled with spiritual bread. Religious icons were in all different shapes and sizes on the wall. Babuyskas quietly chanted to themselves. Men crossed themselves and knelt to the ground. Lit candles signified blessings and repentance.
We all stood in reverence, unsure of how to react to all of this. Watching carefully, we did what the locals did... we crossed ourselves when they crossed themselves, we knelt when they knelt. Although we could not understand what was being said, we clearly understood the importance of what was being said. Although we did not understand the reasoning behind kissing icons or lighting candles, we clearly understood that these symbols held much meaning for the Russian people. Although we didn't understand the reason for kneeling, we clearly understood this to be a different method of prayer.
And then the heavens opened up with sound. I heard what my heart had been aching for since i left Seattle.
The choir was hiding in the back balcony, awaiting their time in the service to worship our Godspot (Lord Almighty). A tingle went through my body, and there He was. Although I had no idea what was being sung, I clearly felt the Holy Spirit in that cathedral. I was so deeply moved that my knees nearly buckled.
Thanks be to God.
After church, we had some lunch. Laughed a bit. Shopped a bit. Walked a lot. Chilled a bit. and then got ready for the ballet.
We have the wonderful opportunity to see Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky. The music was amazing and the dancing was filled with emotion. And yet again, I had the opportunity to understand emotions without any communication of words. Tchaikovsky put tingles on my back as the crescendo ended abruptly and the dancers made striking poses. Tchaikovsky's music made my heart sway as the Prince and the Swan Princess touched intimately and danced with the most beautiful movements in their limbs.
I love that I can feel Russian culture seep from every part of this city. Everywhere I look, rich history was made at this coffee shop or this street corner. Someone important died here or someone important lived here. This artist wrote this piece in this courtyard or this person defended his honor in this passageway. All these small insignificant puzzle pieces made Russia what it is today.
There is not one part of Saint Petersburg that lacks significance. The heritage and history consumes and envelops the city, every nook and cranny has yet another story to be told. And that is the reason why I love Saint P so much.
Love from Sankt Petersburg, SehVeh
ps- In Cyrillic, C=Seh and B=Veh. Therefore, SehVeh is my new Russian nickname. <3

2 comments:
Hello Chels,
Thinking about you while you are experiencing Russia.
Love from Bernie
Wow, what a wonderful insight into, well, really just life in general. I'm so proud of you Chels.
Post a Comment