Saturday, July 11, 2009

June? July? Summer?

Where did June go? How is it already July? And when did Summer get here??

June was just the slightest bit busy between turning 22, graduating, and working four jobs. I'll tell ya a couple good stories from June to compensate for lost time. 

June 3rd -- my favorite holiday of the year -- the weather was hot and sunny with a slight breeze which perfectly swept over your shoulders or through your hair to keep you cool. Sand squished between my toes as the fire pit crackled with hunger and excitement. The sun was setting over the Olympic Peninsula and the sight was breath taking for nearly 45 minutes. It was one of those elongated sunsets that were even more beautiful as time went on. The night crept closer, but the sun was not finished painting the sky. There I stood, with some of my closest friends, listening to the waves crash on Alki Beach and a piece of art exploding in the sky. The wind never turned cold, and the evening never turned empty. With the sunset came the stars. And with the stars came the bon fire marshmallow eating -- one of my favorite foods ever! I laughed as my roommates stuck candles in a fresh batch of rice crispies. It was nearly impossible to light the candles. I think I wished for what I already had as I let the wind extinguish my birthday candle. This was enough. This is all I needed in life. Fellowship, friends that know and understand me, a beautiful sunset, warm weather, toasted marshmallows, someone to hold hands with, and a perfect memory to end college. 

June 12th we had our first pomp and circumstance ceremony. We dressed up in our cap and gowns, professors in their regalia, and family member with eager cameras to capture the beloved Ivy Cutting Ceremony. The ceremony itself is not what this story is about. Instead this story is about the women with whom I stood for this ceremony. This "we" that I am referring to is none other than my four friends from freshman year -- Laura, Linnzi, Erendira, and Brooke. We've been through so much together that we decided it was necessary for our families to meet. Later that evening, we gathered at my house for drinks and dessert. It was so wonderful to host such an important gathering where families became intertwined and connected. Parents of one girl got to meet parents of another girl. I had the chance to chat with all the girls' parents AND successfully filled up glasses, tidied the bar, and took care of the trash. My mom later told me how wonderful it was to see me as a woman. I'm starting to feel like a real adult.

June 14th I celebrated my graduation with a rather significant cheering section. I was completely exhausted from the hub-ub of graduation and I don't think I could have smiled one more smile. The ceremony was done with and I couldn't wait to get back into the car and into my beloved Rainbow sandals. Neal and I drove one car while Mom, Sherman, and Zach drove another. It was time to be in my element, so Neal and I went grocery shopping (one of our favorite past times) for dinner. All I wanted on graduation evening was to spend time cooking and hanging out with my immediate family. I didn't want a big fancy dinner. I just wanted to relax and cook some amazing dinner. And that, we did. We worked away in the kitchen to make a delicious stir-fry with fresh vegetables. We had family dinner gathered around Neal's kitchen table and my heart was SO happy. Perhaps I'm too easy to please, but I couldn't imagine a better way to end such a significant day.


That was just a sneak peak from June. I promise to make time to write more often! Texas next week for Neal's family reunion, a friend getting married the following weekend, and another girlfriend getting married the weekend after that! *phew* 

Does it ever slow down?

No comments: